By using an open source solution you don’t have to reinvent the wheel and build everything from scratch and all these solutions can be customized to give your online store a unique look.
Magento has grown much faster than osCommerce during the past 2-3 years so it’s reasonable to assume that Magento is a more popular choice among those with no prior experience of ecommerce website development, while there is a group who is sticking to osCommerce, probably because they are used to the system.
Magento is a modern ecommerce solution featuring with the following advantages:
- Table-free, div-tag-based design which is easy to modify and search engine friendly.
- Built on the model-view-controller (MVC) framework, Zend Framework, which provides clear separation between presentation layer and the logic (code).
- Supported by a company and not a non-profit organization. The company owning Magento is active in fixing bugs and supporting the shopping cart.
- The system is neatly designed and looks very modern.
- SEO friendly URLs from the get-go.
- Advanced features such as abandoned shopping cart reporting, shipping estimator without logging in, set up of multiple stores from one admin login and more.